Friday, May 20, 2005

Look before You Leap


Was browsing through my photos and found this. Taken a couple of years ago, when most of us we were still in school. Since form five, its been a ritual to go up to Mt Pleasure every year.

Today, the Pajero was here. So we snuck out (begged a staff actually) to let us follow him out to the admin centre. Maybe our pathetic faces were really effective cos he agreed and took us for a spin.

Went to admin. Nothing interesting there.

Went to a highway project. The second phase of the Jelutong Expressway. And once again, i prove just how little i look before i leap. It was extremly muddy (think reclaimed land that still sinks and springs back up everytime a lorry drivers over it) and girl 1 was without her safety shoes. So we were looking for the best way to get to the other side of the site where boy is (he doesnt care about his shoes and pants) when i spotted mounds of earth piled up along the side of the site. So i figured, hey thats not muddy and it runs all the way to the other side..maybe we can go through there. So i went and stepped into it. Big mistake. It felt a little mucky, like it wasnt solid. But i fiugred, hey it can hold my weight. Sort of. So i took a few tentative steps. Bigger Mistake. Think QUICKSAND. My whole bloody foot sank in till my ankle.. So i panicked and tried to hop out. Yet another mistake. My other food sank into the mud past my ankle (Oh, my shoes and jeans). I didnt know what to do so i made the split second decision to jump out of the muck. WIthout looking. And landed into a puddle of watery muck. I have no luck. The more careful girl 2 was behind me, where the earth was still relatively solid and the even more cautious girl 1 was standing firmly on land analyzing the situation. The rest of that evening, my feet were really really heavy. Black mud caked onto my shoes up to the ankles. Ewwww..

And all that happened in less the 2 minutes. Major embarrasment especially since there were workers right next to where i was. Only positive thing i can think of is at least i provide plenty of entertainment.

No comments: